Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2005

How a PS3 Does It

IBM has released a variety of technical documents on the Cell (the Playstation 3's CPU, for those of you who are totally isolated from the world of video games). This seemed like a particularly timely piece of news, considering not only that I'm doing my own series on CPUs, but also that a few days ago I was looking around for information on how the Cell works, particularly with respect to how the synergistic processing units (SPUs) are programmed.

A bunch of the specs require registration. The only one that doesn't is this brief overview of the architecture.

I haven't had a chance to read any of this, yet (I just got back from school). Maybe, if I'm in a good mood, I'll look it over and write an architecture summary of the Cell, this weekend.

No comments: